Tuesday 9 September 2014

Preparations and adventures.

It has been a busy summer here in Calgary. Rather than spending weeks away touring festivals in the south as I have spent the last two summers, this year I have been spending my days in the studio and the gallery, meeting lots of new customers, making many many jewels and developing new designs. This hasn't left much time for blogging, but I'm happy to be back filling you in on whats going on.

As the island starts to quieten down a little, the autumn colour creeps in and the sun starts to set earlier over Calgary bay, I am still busy in the studio.

At the moment I am busy preparing for two big events coming up in October. Firstly Great Northern Contemporary Craft Fair, Manchester, October 9th-12th. I had a great time at the fair last year, meeting new customers, making contacts with galleries and meeting other designer makers. This year, I will be returning with an updated display and lots of my jewels. I have added new pieces to both my Kalyaana and Sol collections, and I will be showing a few special one-off pieces too. I'm really looking forward to being back in bustling Manchester, showcasing new work  and finding new contacts for the coming year.

Immediately after Great Northern I will be heading down to London to take part in Covet, a group show led by Emergents. Covet showcases thirteen highlands designer makers. I will be showing alongside my lovely friend Heather Mcdermott, whose work I show in the gallery here on Mull, Gilly Langton - a highlands Jeweller I very much admire, and many more talented makers. Covet will take place at Craft Central in Clerkenwell from the 14th-18th of October.
If you find yourself in Manchester or London  come and say hello and have a look at some of my new jewels!

Here are some photos of my stand at Great Northern Contemporary Craft Fair last year, to give you a taster of what is to come...


     


It hasn't all been work this summer though. We have still been trying to make the most of our island home, exploring new hills and beaches and spending time with visiting friends. I even had my first sailing trip out at sea, on the wonderful Spindrift...

 Spindrift and its excellent sailing crew, getting ready for a day of exploring and fishing.


The crew on dry land, exploring Oronsay island just north of Tobermory.

Ross at Reudle beach, south of Calgary.



Thanks for reading!

Maike x

No comments:

Post a Comment