Monday 1 December 2014

A photo shoot...

It is unusual for me to work in my studio with anyone but myself for company, but a few weeks ago I welcomed the wonderful photographer Sarah Darling into my little space. Sarah came to photograph me for a new project she is working on, featuring makers around the island.

Sarah spent a long morning with me in my studio, chatting about my work as a jeweller, and hers as a photographer. I cut, filed, drilled and soldered, while she thoughtfully photographed my process, capturing shots of me around my studio.

I was pretty nervous to have somebody in my space - which is so personal and important to me - but Sarah made me feel completely at ease, and it was easy to get on with my work as normal, but with the bonus of somebody nice to talk to!

I chose to spend the morning working on one project - a silver Sol chain bracelet for my mums birthday, I usually work on multiples of pieces, or several different things at once, but it was nice to concentrate on one special piece for the morning. If you're reading mum, you can now see the process behind your present!

Here are a few of my favorite shots from the day. I wore my old favourite Kali Earrings, Sol Bangle and stacking Sol rings.

At the bench, in my homemade, cross back apron.

Saw piercing some tiny silver pieces



Using a sharp scribe to mark a pattern onto the metal - ready to drill and pierce out.


Using emery paper to clean up each tiny piece of silver.










For more of Sarahs photos have a look here:

Thanks for reading! Keep an eye out on my online shop this week for new products and a december discount...

Maike x

No comments:

Post a Comment